Monday, February 8, 2010

Don't Fix Your Outsourcer's Mistakes For Them

Just a quick thought to share with everyone today. I know that, often, it seems like YOU can do something far better than your outsourcer. And you feel that way because you probably ARE better at doing it. Installing WordPress, picking domains, finding information, doing research, etc.

Yes, you know your business better than the outsourcer you hired, and you can do it better. But you know you're supposed to outsource, so you give your guys some work, and it comes back in a way that is not 100% acceptable to you.

What now?

Simply show them how to correct course. Don't go and fix their work for them! It's a lot like raising kids. If you always make your child's bed and fix them breakfast, they'll never learn to do it themselves. Let them do it, and show them how to improve. Keep reinforcing the message with positive feedback. Be nice.

One of my guys had a real problem with communication. He'd send me short emails that were not clear enough for me to understand. I simply told him, over and over, to be *much* more specific with things.

Before I smartened up, I tried to guess at what he was asking and answer all possible variations. Then I realized I was training him to keep giving me crappy emails with crappy explanations.

I changed course and started simply replying with the following "Can you please be a lot more specific, because I do not understand what you are saying here. What, specifically, is the problem with the XYZ project?"

This worked like a charm.

So, if you want to train your guys to do GREAT work for you, don't fix their mistakes. Show them how to fix their own mistakes.

Whatever you do, just make sure that you are outsourcing. I highly recommend hiring people in the Philippines. This is the resource I am using, and it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment